If you’re anything like me at the minute- rushing outside every time the sky is beautifully blue then getting soaked when you refuse to stop and put your waterproofs on during your commute, then this salad is perfect for you! The roasted new potatoes are crunchy and warming while the fresh tasting vinaigrette reminds me of summer. It would also make a great side dish at any BBQ if you’re fortunate enough to have the weather for one.
I’ve been getting to grips with a cycling commute this week; an embarrassingly short one on most days, just over a mile to my University library. When I’m not vaguely hoping nobody sees me from start to finish and ridicules me for not walking, I’m so very much enjoying it! It’s so much quicker than walking (or naughtily driving when I’m in a rush-which seems like a time saving exercise when I accelerate out of my street but ends in me 10 minutes late because I’ve had to drive in circles three times before I can find a parking space), it makes me happy to speed along by the river and I’m pretty sure my bum has gotten a tiny bit perkier since I started. If you have any tips on- when to decide that it’s definitely raining and put your waterproofs on (on my longer commute days), or what repair essentials I should carry? Please let me know in the comments!
So back to the salad! The star of this dish is definitely the asparagus, it is perfectly in season and its texture contrasts gorgeously with the new potatoes. If you’re interested in reading more about what’s great to eat in May you should definitely check out this post by my idol COOKIE + KATE.
- 500g new potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- spritz of vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs of mint
- 1 lemon
- 250g asparagus
- 3 spring onions
- handful of almonds
- Begin by preheating the oven at 200 celsius/180 fan
- Chop the new potatoes so they are all equal sizes- I halved all of my larger ones and left the tiny ones intact
- Put the new potatoes into an oven on a baking tray with a drizzle or spritz of vegetable or rapeseed oil and the unpeeled clove of garlic- bake these for around 40 minutes or until nicely golden with a wee shake of the tray halfway through
- Take the leaves from the 2 sprigs of mint and chop them finely, put in a bowl with the 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Zest half of the lemon into the oil, chop in half and add the juice of the whole lemon to the oil
- Prepare the asparagus by removing the woody ends of the stems and chopping the remainder in half
- Put the asparagus in a pot of boiling water for 4 minutes then drain
- Chop the spring onions and almonds finely
- Remove the potatoes from the oven
- Take your roasted garlic clove and carefully chop off one end and sqidge out the delicious garlic inside, mash this with a fork and add to your dressing
- Stir your dressing and add salt and pepper as required
- Layer your salad in a bowl with the potatoes on the bottom, followed by the asparagus, your dressing and the spring onions and almonds sprinkled on top
I would love to hear what you think of this salad or if you have any cycling commuter tips! Let me know in the comments!